4400 Blue Pkwy, 1st floor
Kansas City, MO 64130

4400 Blue Pkwy, 1st floor
Kansas City, MO 64130


Home  Programs Houses & Buildings Property Search News/Events Resources About Us Contact Us
Home  Programs Houses & Buildings Property Search News/Events Resources About Us Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions

Property Search

How much money will I need?

An applicant to purchase property must provide evidence to Land Bank that they have immediately available funds for a minimum of 25% of the total proposed repair/construction costs. This can be done through; bank account statements, credit card statements with sufficient credit limits illustrated, or preapproved loan confirmation.  

Additionally, the purchase should plan for enough financing to pay the cash price approved for the property, plus the costs of labor and materials to complete the repairs or construction offered in the scope of repairs.

Does my spouse’s name have to be on the Special Warranty Deed and Deed of Trust?

Yes, a purchaser’s spouse must be on the Special Warranty Deed and the Deed of Trust unless the spouse signs a marital waiver form. Land Bank can assist you with this form.

What if I want the title of the property to be transferred to my LLC or Corporation?

The purchaser will be required to provide the following additional documentation;

Will my property have title defects?

Although most tax liens are removed from properties acquired by Land Bank, certain liens remain in effect. You should make a title search before you buy Land Bank property. You should also obtain a title insurance policy when you do make a purchase.

Under state law, Land Bank conveys title to any property it sells by means of a special warranty deed. The special warranty deed does not include any warranty against claims arising from previous ownerships. Therefore, prior liens, easements, judgments, or any other encumbrances that follow the land are not covered.

Land Bank does not select the properties that it acquires. It takes title to any properties that are foreclosed for taxes in Jackson County, within in City limits, and do not sell when offered at auction on the courthouse steps. Generally, Land Bank has not surveyed its properties and does not have knowledge of their history. For that reason, in all cases, Land Bank, its agents and employees make no representations as to the condition or location of Land Bank properties. All properties are sold “as is” and “where is.”

You should examine any property on which you intend to make an offer. You also should examine any records relating to the property. Where a property includes a building, you should inspect the building, both inside and out, before making an offer. To find out how to obtain access to property, call Land Bank at 816-513-9020.

Do I need permits before I build or repair?

Yes, before a purchaser starts building they will want to contact City Planning and Development. Permits are needed for these common types of work, although this is not an exhaustive list: Electrical Permit (Circuit wiring, Electrical panel upgrade or replacement, Service upgrade, repair or replacement); Mechanical Permit (Furnace installation, Gas piping installation or repair, Central air condition installation); Plumbing Permit (Water heater installation, Water supply installation, Drain, waste or vent piping) Building Permit (Construction of a structural foundation, Structural framing, Stairway replacement). Make sure to start with City Planning and Development. Construction and repair, without the necessary permits, can lead to additional costs in penalties and ticket enforcement.

Permits may be applied for online via the Compass KC link at http://kcmo.gov/compasskc/ or in person at the City Planning and Development, Permit Office in City Hall, 414 E. 12th St. 5th Floor, Kansas City MO 64106.

City Planning and Development Department: (816) 513-1500

Construction Code Questions Hotline:  (816) 513-1511

Construction Code Questions E-mail:  codequestions@kcmo.org

How much time do I have to make the repairs or build the structure?

Generally the purchaser will have 60 days to fix any property defects on the exterior of the property and 120 days to complete all other repairs. You can request additional time by contacting one of the Land Bank Inspectors for approval and signing a new agreement with the new timeline for the repairs.

How often do I need to schedule inspections by Land Bank Inspectors?

120 days from the date of closing; and

Upon the completion of the construction and repairs; and

3 years from the date of closing.

Why does the Lank Bank need to inspect after the City Inspectors do their permit inspection?

The Land Bank Inspectors are evaluating compliance with the terms of the Deed of Trust. Planning and Development is evaluating building code and permit compliance.

What if I don’t get the repairs done in the time given, or I can’t complete the repairs?

If you do not get permission for additional time from Land Bank, or you are not able to complete the repairs, then Land Bank reserves the right to foreclose upon the Deed of Trust to take the property back. If you can no longer complete the repairs within the agreed upon time, contact Land Bank to donate the property back to Land Bank to avoid legal fees.

The repairs and construction promised in the Deed of Trust is the required payment for the property. If the payment is not made, then the property will be foreclosed upon so that someone else can repair the property and put it back into productive use.

What happens when I finish the repairs/construction?

Contact Land Bank for the final inspection. Land Bank will draft and record a full Release for the Deed of Trust, which terminates all remaining property interest Land Bank has in the property.

Will the deed of Trust automatically “fall off” after 3 years?

No, the Deed of Trust will remain an obligation, similar to a mortgage, until it is released by Land Bank or removed by another operation of law.

Land Bank prefers that the property be donated back if the purchaser is not going to complete the repairs required under the Deed of Trust. However, if the new proposed purchaser fills out an application, and meets the requirements to be an initial purchaser under Land Bank’s rules and regulations, Land Bank may consent to the sale by allowing the new proposed purchaser to assume the obligations under the deed of trust and release the initial purchaser from those obligations.  

Please be aware, unless Land Bank consents to the sale, the original purchaser is still responsible for the obligations under the Deed of Trust. If the purchaser sells the property, without the necessary written permission from Land Bank, Land Bank may foreclose upon the deed of trust. Land Bank is not bound by contracts made between a third party and the purchaser.

Can I sell the property to a third party prior to the repairs being completed?

Beginning January 1st 2019 There will be a required activation fee with submitted applications.

Applications will not be accepted without the appropriate fee amount. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.